Everyone has a shadow self, and these are things that you don’t want other people to see about you. The thing is everyone has a dark side. This can mean that you don’t get things done fast enough, you play too many games, you drink too much or smoke, you are too emotional or jealous, you are judgmental and critical, or you aren’t giving enough, or you are sad, lonely, or depressed.
These are things that you don’t want other people to know about you. What happens though if you learn to love this part of who you are? What if you love the side of you that is dark? Instead of just avoiding yourself, chances are that if you bring these things to light that you can fix things and you can take away your fear and your anxiety.
What to Do
Instead of trying to hide these things about yourself, try to do these things:
- Tell someone about your shadow self.
- Talk about the dark parts of who you are.
- Be kind and compassionate with yourself.
- Learn to forgive who you are.
- Be loving even when you have a dark side.
- Take a rest.
- Get the relief that you need.
- Know that your shadow isn’t a bad thing about you.
- Give yourself compassion instead of being so hard on yourself.
- Know that your dark part is something that you can love.
- When you go to your dark self, find out why you feel that.
- Allow yourself to feel the pain that you feel but don’t stay there.
- Laugh about your shadow self because everyone else has one too.
- Be intimate with yourself, talk about your shadow self.
- Embrace who you are.
- Be curious about the dark parts of yourself.
- Love yourself no matter what.
- If you have emotions, embrace them, and then let them go.
- Instead of trying to hide from your shadow self, learn to love who you are and embrace yourself.
Doing these things won’t make your shadow self-go away but it will allow you to get rid of fear and depression associated with these things. You can learn to love who you are and learn to embrace the idea that everyone has a dark side, but it is just who you are.